- Romanian and EU candidates
- Candidates from non-EU countries
Romanian and EU candidates
The admission of Romanian candidates and from the European Union countries at doctorate studies in the domains: System Engineering (SE) and Computers and Information Technology (CIT) in the academic year 2020-2021 is organized online in two sessions: I) July 2020; II) September 2020.
A number of 54 places have been allocated to the Doctoral school of Automatic Control and Computers in the 2020 admission sessions for the doctoral programs in the Systems Engineering and Computers and Information Technology domains. From this number, 27 places with scholarship will be granted to the candidates in the descending order of their admission grades.
The Examination juries of the Doctoral school of Automatic Control and Computers for the admission examination at the doctorate programs in the sessions July 2020 and September 2020 are:
Systems Engineering – SE
EXAMINATION JURY Computers and Information Technology – CIT
|President: Prof. Dr. Eng. Theodor Borangiu||President: Prof. Dr. Eng. Nicolae Ţăpuş|
|Prof. Dr. Eng. Anca Ioniţă||Prof. Dr. Eng. Valentin Cristea|
|Prof. Dr. Eng. Cristian Oară||Prof. Dr. Eng. Adina Magda Florea|
|Prof. Dr. Eng. Dan Popescu||Prof. Dr. Eng. Florica Moldoveanu|
|Prof. Dr. Eng. Cătălin Buiu||Prof. Dr. Eng. Ştefan Trăuşan-Matu|
|Secretary: Assoc. Prof. Dr. Eng. Florin Stoican||Secretary: Prof. Dr. Eng. Mihai Dascălu|
Session I with the following program:
- Inscription of candidates: 22 June – 6 July 2020. The inscription will be made on line on the admission platform Doctorate 2020 of the University Politehnica of Bucharest, at https://upb.ro/doctorat/admitere-doctorat/. The candidates can obtain further details from the secretariat of the Doctoral school of Automatic Control and Computers, Mrs. Cătălina Dărăban (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +40 21 4029 464)
- Examination for Ph.D. admission: 7 July 2020, 10:00 h. There will be organized online admission exams for the System Engineering (SE) and Computers and IT (CIT) domains on separate channels of the Microsoft Teams platform. The access procedure will be communicated to the candidates after their inscription.
The results of the admission examination in the session July 2020 are available here.
Session II with the following program:
- Inscription of candidates: 24 August – 11 September 2020. The inscription will be made on line on the admission platform Doctorate 2020 of the University Politehnica of Bucharest, at https://upb.ro/doctorat/admitere-doctorat/. The candidates can obtain further details from the secretariat of the Doctoral school of Automatic Control and Computers, Mrs. Cătălina Dărăban (e-mail: email@example.com, tel. +40 21 4029 464).
- Examination for Ph.D. admission: 15 September 2020, 10:00 h for the SE domain, and 13:00 h for the CIT domain. There will be organized online admission exams for the System Engineering (SE) and Computers and IT (CIT) domains on separate channels of the Microsoft Teams platform. The access procedure will be communicated to the candidates after their inscription.
The results of the global admission examination in the sessions July and September 2020 are available here.
Information concerning the organizing procedure for doctorate admission
The University Politehnica of Bucharest organizes online admission contests for doctoral studies in the Ph.D. domains Systems Engineering and Computers and Information Technology for the academic year 2020-2021 according to the Methodology for organizing and carrying out the admission contest in online system.
The admission to doctorate studies is done in the limit of the places granted for the academic year 2020-2021 by:
- The Ministry of Education and Research (MEC) for doctorate studies funded from the budget in the form of doctoral scholarships;
- UPB, as Institution Organizing Doctorate Studies, for doctorate studies in the tax paying form.
Occupying the fee-paying places is confirmed by the payment of the first fee fraction and signing of the doctoral study contract at the due dates specified in Table 1 of the Methodology for the organization of the Ph.D. admission in UPB for the academic year 2020-2021.
The costs implied by exceeding the normal duration of doctoral studies funded from the budget must be supported by the Ph.D. student by paying the annual doctoral study fee established by UPB’s Senate.
Inscription of the candidates
The number of doctoral positions allocated to the Doctoral school Automatic Control and Computers (SD_AC) for admission in the two funding modes (from the budget and with fees) for the academic year 2020-2021 will be announced in the websites of the faculty of Automatic Control and Computers (A&C) and of its Doctoral school.
The graduates of long duration learning have the right to participate in the Ph.D. admission examination without having obtained a post-graduate or master diploma. Graduates of higher education studies performed abroad and recognized by the specialty departments of the Ministry of Education as master studies may also participate in the examination for doctorate studies in the SE and CIT domains.
The inscription for Ph.D. admission in the SE and CIT domain scan be done regardless of the domain in which the candidate has obtained her/his final diploma of long duration university education, post-graduate or master cycle.
Expelled doctoral students have the right to inscribe themselves for a new admission examination for Ph.D. studies only for fee-paying places.
The candidates who have graduated a master study program in the University Politehnica of Bucharest must submit by e-mail the inscription form (Annex 2), a CV and list of published papers to the secretariat of the Doctoral school of Automatic Control and Computers, e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The candidates from outside UPB must submit online the inscription file which will contain the following documents:
- Inscription request (Annex 2)
- Personal inscription form (Annex 3)
- Curriculum vitae
- List of publications
- Original documents and copies:
- graduation diplomas (license, master);
- add-ons to diplomas (license, master)
- baccalaureate diploma
- certificate of birth
- wedding certificate or other document attesting the change of name (if necessary)
- Note: The certification of conformity with the originals for the copies included in the candidate’s file must be done by authorized people
- Payment receipt of the inscription fee
- Copy of the identity card.
- Declaration on own liability that the candidate did not benefit in the past from a Ph.D. student position funded from the budget (Annex 5)
The fee amount for the inscription in the Ph.D. admission examination is 200 RON payable online or at the UPB cashier. For the candidates who inscribe themselves for the Session I (July 2020), the fee is 150 RON with the exception of candidates having graduated a master program in UPB who will pay 100 RON.
Contact data for the inscription in the admission contest: the candidates’ files for the admission at doctoral studies in the SE and CIIT domains will be submitted online to the secretariat of the Doctoral school of Automatic Control and Computers (Mrs. Cătălina Dărăban, e-mail: email@example.com).
Mail address: Doctoral school of Automatic Control and Computers, University Politehnica of Bucharest, Doctorate office Rectorat UPB, room R 308, 313 Splaiul Independentei, sector 6 Bucharest 060042, secretary Mrs. Cătălina Dărăban, telephone: 0214029464.
- Annex 2_UPB Methodology for PhD admission 2020-2021
- Annex 3_UPB Methodology for PhD admission 2020-2021
- Annex 5_UPB Methodology for PhD admission 2020-2021
Running the online admission examination
The online Ph.D. admission is organized by the Doctoral school of automatic Control and Computers separately for the doctorate domains Systems Engineering (SE) and Computers and Information Technology (CIT), and consists from an examination session.
The examination for the admission in the Ph.D. study program consists of an oral presentation of the candidate’s research activity, of the bibliography studied, and of a scientific direction in which the doctoral thesis would be finalised. This presentation is followed by a clarifying discussion of the candidate with the members of the examination jury in the doctorate domain (SE or CIT). The two examination juries organize an admission interview on the Microsoft Teams platform by planning the candidates at pre-established time intervals.
During the examination stage, the candidates are evaluated about their professional level and knowledge in the domain, the capacity to assess major orientations in the proposed research and the capacity to formulate solutions and working out methods and tools (theoretical and experimental) for a research theme.
Each member of the examination jury gives the candidate a mark (integer) from 1 to 10. The examination score obtained by the candidate is the average of the marks from 1 to 10 given by all members of the examination jury. The general admission score is calculated as the average of the examination score and the general grade of the years of study (the latter being calculated considering the number of years of licence and master studies). The resulting general admission score must be at least 8.00 (eight). If the ranking of several candidates having obtained the same general admission score is necessary, the following criteria are used in the order: a) the highest examination score first; b) the average grade of the license studies.
An examination file will be created for each candidate. This file will be online transmitted by the examination jury to the secretariat of the Doctoral school of Automatic Control and Computers, immediately after the termination of the examination session.
Objections to the evaluation and results of the examination for Ph.D. admission in the SE and CIT programs must be submitted online, in 24 hours from the announcement of results, to the secretariat of the Doctoral school of Automatic Control and Computers.
The lists with the results of the Ph.D. admission contests are validated by the electronic signature of the Director of the Doctoral school of Automatic Control and Computers and of the Rector of the University Politehnica of Bucharest, and then displayed on the website of the Doctoral school.
The registration of the admitted candidates will be done in 48 hours from the online announcement of the examination results.
The lists with the candidates who have obtained scholarships from the budget will be announced after the completion of the admission Session II.
The candidates declared admitted will fill in and sign in person the contract of university Ph.D. study until the beginning of the academic year 2020-2021. The contract becomes official when it is signed by the thesis director and the Director of the Doctoral school of Automatic Control and Computers.
Candidates from non-EU countries
Inscription of the candidates
- The foreign candidate, citizen of a non-European Union country who intends to follow one of the doctorate study programs ”Computers and Information Technology” (CIT) or ”System Engineering” (SE) will send directly by fax (+40 21 3170912) or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) to the Doctoral school Automatic Control and Computer Science of the University Politehnica of Bucharest (UPB) or indirectly, via the Ministry of National Education (if the candidates are included in a Ph.D. support program in their countries of origin) a request in English signed and dated, asking to be admitted in one of these two Ph.D programs. This request will be accompanied by the following documents in English:
- Letter of intention, in which the candidate specifies the doctorate domain (SE or CIT), the subject (area) of interest and eventually the scientific coordinator.
- Graduation certificates (bachelor and master degrees) with grades, from which it results that the candidate has obtained at least 70% of the total ranking for each of these two study programs.
- Certificate attesting the knowledge of English language. The candidate will present one of the following certificate with grades:
- TOEFL CBT (with score greater than 235);
- TOEFL PBT (with score greater than 575);
- TOEFL IBT (with score greater than 100);
- Cambridge/ESOL (at least level C1);
- IELTS (with score greater than 6.5).
- CV and list of scientific publications, participation in scientific projects, patents.
- Two letters of recommendation from university professors with whom she/he has worked.
- A file with these documents will be prepared by the candidate and sent to the Doctoral school of Automatic Control and Computer Science at the correspondence address:
Doctoral school of Automatic Control and Computers
University Politehnica of Bucharest
Rectorate Room 308
313 Splaiul Independentei, sector 6,
Running the admission examination
- The doctoral school Automatic Control and Computers analyses the candidate’s file and decides to accept or reject the candidate’s request. If the request is accepted, the candidate will be notified and contacted to agree upon the date at which she / he will do the interview for admission in the doctorate program.
- The candidate participates in the interview for admission in the SE or CIT doctorate program.
- If the candidate is admitted, the Doctoral school Automatic Control and Computers assigns a scientific coordinator for the candidate and informs the candidate about being in principle admitted in the doctorate program of study in one of the domains SE or CIT.
- The effective admission of the candidate in the program of doctorate study is conditioned by the Doctoral school receiving the candidate’s file with all documents in original and legal translation by October 1st of the current year