Public-Private Partnership for an Industrial Agreement of Training through Doctoral Research (IATDR)
Starting with the academic year 2018-2019, the Faculty of Automatic Control and Computers (A&C) from University Politehnica of Bucharest (UPB) introduces through its Doctoral school of Automatic Control and Computers (DSAC) Industrial Agreements of Training through Doctoral Research (IATDR), the aim of which is the development of public-private partnership in research in the domains System Engineering and Computers and IT by offering Ph.D. students an advanced industrial, enterprise-type training framework.
The realization of the public-private partnership in doctoral research is based on the association involving:
- A company that recruits a master graduate or equivalent, enrolled in a study program of the Doctoral School of Automatic Control and Computers within the faculty of Automatic Control and Computers in University Politehnica of Bucharest, for an enterprise stage of doctoral training and entrusts him a research theme that is strategic for its activity and socio-economic development. This research theme becomes the subject of the student’s doctoral thesis.
- The Faculty of Automatic Control and Computers within the University Politehnica of Bucharest that supervises through its Research Laboratory, to which the thesis director is affiliated, and its Doctoral School of Automatic Control and Computers the Ph.D. student’s work.
- The Ph.D. student who devotes 100% of his time, shared between the company and the academic research laboratory, to research work. The Ph.D. student, who benefits from dual academic – professional training, is enrolled in the Doctoral School of Automatic Control and Computers within UPB with which he has signed a Contract of doctoral studies complying thus to the national framework and procedure for obtaining a Romanian national doctorate diploma.
Steps for the initiation of an Industrial Agreement of Training through Doctoral Research IATDR
- The company proposes a research project – potential subject for a doctoral thesis in one of the domains “System Engineering (SE)” or “Computers and IT (CIT)” – to A&C’s Doctoral School of Automatic Control and Computers (DSAC) at any time of the year, but no later than June 1st for candidates’ selection in the first Ph.D. admission session organized by the DSAC in July, respectively no later than September 1st for candidates’ selection in the second Ph.D. admission session organized by the DSAC in September for the next academic year (the IATDR Proposal form for a thesis subject supported by an Industrial Agreement of Training through Doctoral Research can be downloaded here).
- DSAC designates an IATDR evaluation and follow-up committee for the evaluation of the research proposal, the examination of candidates and the selection of the Ph.D. student whom the doctoral research project will be assigned.
- The IATDR evaluation and follow-up committee analyses the scientific adequacy of the proposal as scientific research work in the SE or CIT domain. If the proposal is accepted, DSAC posts an announcement on its website http://doctorat.acs.pub.ro/ in which it specifies the offer of the company that funds the doctoral research project, its objectives and expected results, the value of the subsidy, and the date at which the candidates’ evaluation and the selection of the Ph.D. student whom the doctoral research project will be assigned will take place.
- The inscriptions of candidates for the IATDR program are made in written and submitted to the DSAC Secretariat (UPB Rectorate, floor 3, room R309) after the announcement was posted in the website, no later than one day before the date established for the evaluation of the candidates and selection of the Ph.D. student for the proposed research theme. To participate in the selection, the candidates must join to the inscription a file containing:
- CV and List of scientific activities carried out by the candidate (scientific publications, participation in research projects, grants and contracts, and patents)
- Original documents and copies:
- graduation diplomas (license, master);
- add-ons to diplomas (license, master)
- baccalaureate diploma
- certificate of birth
- wedding certificate or other document attesting the change of name (if necessary)
Note: The certification of conformity with the originals for the copies included in the candidate’s file will be made at the DSAC’s Secretariat.
- The candidates participate in the selection exam for the doctoral program IATDR; the date of this examination is fixed one week before the date of the Ph.D. admission in UPB organized by DSAC in July respectively in September for the next academic year. A candidate can participate a single time in the selection for the same IATDR doctoral program (before the UPB Ph.D. admission session in June or September).
- The candidate selected for the IATDR program inscribes and participates in the Ph.D. admission session organized by DSAC in UPB, in the July or September session, as a tax paying doctoral student.
- The candidate selected for the IATDR program and admitted as tax paying doctoral student in UPB in one of the sessions July or September registers in one of the doctoral domains SE or CIT to work out the scientific subject proposed by the company in the IATDR program and signs the Contract of Doctoral Studies in UPB.
- The candidate selected for the IATDR program who has signed the Contract of Doctoral Studies in UPB signs then with the company the Student Sponsorship Contract for Ph.D. Scholarship and begins his doctoral research program.
Duration of the Industrial Agreement of Training through Doctoral Research (IATDR): 36 months.
Value of stipend granted by the company to the Ph.D. student:
- Minimum 12000 euro / year [net] as sponsored Ph.D. scholarship, payable monthly
- The annual doctoral study fee in UPB for 3 years
Documents for an Industrial Agreement of Training through Doctoral Research IATDR:
- IATDR Proposal of the company for a research subject supported by an Industrial Agreement of Training through Doctoral Research
- Partnership Research Contract for an Industrial Agreement of Training through Doctoral Research IATDR; signed by the company and A&C in UPB
- Student Sponsorship Contract for Ph.D. Scholarship IATDR; signed by the company and Ph.D. student.
- Bi-annual research activity report for an IATDR Agreement