The teaching staff and the researchers who have obtained the Ph.D. title of the University Politehnica of Bucharest in the domains Computers and Information Technology (CIT) and System Engineering (SE) benefit from research programs and stages: 1) of short duration, 2) annual or 3) for fixed duration, respectively organized by UPB, by foundations and institutions from Romania and abroad, and by profile companies.
The following post-doctoral research programs are organized in 2020-2021:
- Post-doctoral programs in UPB: such programs can be organized in UPB as post university programs for formation and professional development, or as post university programs of continuous education, hereafter called Post university programs. Organizing this programs is regulated by the bylaw approved in by the UPB Senate on 31.10.2019.
- Annual post-doctoral programs offered by foundations and academic mobility services:
- Post-doctoral programs offered by IT and SE firms and foreign universities:
A-Succes – Dezvoltarea competențelor de antreprenoriat ale doctoranzilor și postdoctoranzilor – cheie a succesului în carieră
A-Succes is a project co-funded by the European Social Fund (ESF) through the Human Capital Operational Program (POCU) 2014-2020, Priority Axis 6- Education and competences, SMIS code 125125, contract no.: 51675/09.07.2019.
The general objective of the project is to facilitate the transition from education to work of 9 post-doctoral UPB students who have obtained their Ph.D. titles in the research domains CTI (Mihai Carabas, Dumitru Clementin Cercel, Alexandru Butean, Oana Balan) and SE (Bogdan Nedelcu, Oana Chenaru, Andrei Silisteanu, Roxana Marcu, Irina Tache) by their participation in entrepreneurship formation programs, complementary course modules, professional orientation and counselling, and learning activities in a potential work-/research place developed in partnership with economic agents and RDI organizations.
The implementing period is of 18 months: 10.07.2019 – 09.01.2021.
The post-doctoral participants receive a financial support for the monthly accomplishment of specific project activities:
- Participation in the entrepreneurship competencies program (a theoretical component – 12 modules and a practical component – 5 workshops, 10 coaching sessions, finalized with the realization of a business / sustainability plan);
- Participation in the professional orienting counselling program;
- Attendance of 3 complementary modules: ”Equality of chances”, ”Ethics in research and authors’ rights” and ”Capitalizing research results”;
- Participation in at least one scientific conference in the CIT and SE domains and publishing at least one scientific article in the themes of the post-doctoral studies.
If you decide to continue working in science or research after completing your doctorate, you can do so at a university, a non-university research institute or a company that engages in research and development (https://www.humboldt-foundation.de/web/humboldt-fellowship-postdoc.html). They all offer attractive positions for international junior researchers:
- The traditional career path for postdoctoral scholars involves a position at a university leading to a professorship. However, science and research offer many other opportunities.
- Non-university research organisations are often very well-equipped and offer postdoctoral researchers a good starting point for launching their careers. Postdocs can work in teams with researchers from all over the world here, and research projects are often integrated in international partnerships.
- Research-oriented companies engage in practical research and offer favourable career prospects, which makes them a good option for your next career step after completing a doctorate.
SF Express Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship in Engineering at the Institute for Manufacturing(IfM) , University of Cambridge UK
The SF Express Fellow will be based in the Distributed Information and Automation Laboratory (DIAL) within the Institute for Manufacturing, but will work with multiple research centres within the Department of Engineering to work with industrial companies on global supply chain logistics issues. Their work will clarify the role of new emerging hardware/software technologies and their impact on logistics. This will include organising academic and industrial workshops/events in industrial logistics and supply chain management, leading/supporting a programme in intelligent logistics, and some teaching in areas relating to industrial logistics.
The qualifications required to perform the role are to have obtained a PhD in Engineering, Manufacturing, Computer Science or a related discipline, along with significant postdoctoral experience. Candidates will need to have a demonstrated a significant aptitude in relevant areas of research and an ability to work within a team.
- Carry out research in the field of industrial logistics, with particular emphasis on technologies that can enhance logistics operations – 40%
- Work with industrial companies on supply chain logistics issues. Organise academic and industrial workshops/events in industrial logistics – 20%
- Lead/support programme in intelligent logistics, including some teaching in relevant areas – 20%
- Dissemination, including journal and conference papers – 10%
- contribute to other research projects within DIAL – 10%
Grade: 9. Salary range: Senior Research Associate: £41,526 – £52,559. Staff Group: Research. Department / Institution: Department of Engineering, Institute for Manufacturing, University of Cambridge. Length of appointment: 5 years. Probation period: 6 months.
Post-doctoral Shuimu Tsinghua Scholar program
Tsinghua University has created the Shuimu Tsinghua Scholar Program, a doctoral degree program focused on attracting excellent scholars who will undertake research across 50 disciplines. The program supports doctoral scholars in their academic career and educates leading researchers in various fields. Applications for the 2020 “Shuimu Tsinghua Scholar Program” are now open and selection has begun. We encourage Ph.D. scholars who are committed to academic research and innovation to apply for this prestigious program.
- Applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- Hold a Ph.D. degree outside China from a top ranked university
- Be under 35 years old;
- Have obtained their PhD degree within the last three years in the “System Engineering” or “Computers and IT” fields (recent doctoral graduates are given priority);
- Undertake to work full time at Tsinghua University after beginning the program.
Scale and Benefits
In 2020, a maximum of 200 scholars will be admitted to the program.
Shuimu Scholars will receive an annual salary of 300,000 RMB (ca. 42,000 USD before tax) for two years. Shuimu Scholars will be provided with transitional housing on the campus or provided with housing subsidies of 42,000 RMB per year, state-funded housing subsidies of 1,2000 RMB per year, as well as subsidies for property management and heating.
Shuimu Tsinghua Scholars enjoy the same medical plan privileges as Tsinghua faculty, and their children are offered positions at Tsinghua University’s kindergarten and primary school.
Shuimu Tsinghua Scholars can also participate in career training courses offered to Tsinghua faculty, and can apply for funds and allowances for attending top-level international conferences.
- First round of applications and reviews:
- Submission date: April 2020 (please consult the department to which you are applying for the specific time)
- Recommendations provided by departments: May 10, 2020
- Review and result: June 2020
- Second round of applications and reviews:
- Submission date: October 2020 (please consult the department to which you are applying for the specific time)
- Recommendations provided by departments: November 10, 2020
- Review and result: December 2020
Contact for the Department of Automation: Prof. Samuel Jia, firstname.lastname@example.org